The Cottage Orné Quilt

The Cottage Orné Quilt
Click the picture to visit my other blog

Friday 30 September 2011

Robin's request

Robin has asked me about the basket quilt in my last post.  I thought that I had shown it here but it seems that I haven't,  probably because I haven't got a good enough photograph.

It was based on an old Welsh quilt in the collection of the Ceridigion Musuem which was included in MAKING WELSH QUILTS -


I am not sure why, but I loved this quilt and the thought of reproducing it nagged away at me, but I didn't have the right fabrics.  I also felt that it would be difficult to capture the hap hazardness of the 25 patch blocks..


It was great fun to do and I was lucky finding a bag kit of Japanese fabrics which gave me a range of taupes, greys and slatety blues. I used both sides of these fabrics to get the variety I needed.  I also bought a man's light navy linen shirt on sale in Tesco which was just the right shade of blue.  I am pleased with the result, though this picture doesn't capture the subtle colours, they seem much harsher here.

There is a small quilt in LITTLE WELSH QUILTS based on the basket patten.




 


4 comments:

Doniene said...

Wonderful little quilt. Love the bold red baskets and subtle hues of the other fabrics!!

Lana Manis said...

Beautiful! I love the colors in this quilt... and the fact that they are so small! :)

Karmen said...

Wonderful. I like you added a touch of yellow. Karmen

Susan Briscoe said...

Enjoyed this post. The baskets quilt is probably my favourite from Ceregidion Museum (used to live just up the road!) The haphazard arrangements of the lights and darks in some of those checkerboards really make this quilt come alive. Love your version!